Sunday, January 24, 2010

Working Nights

Some times I think these 12 hour night shifts are trying to kill me......

Don't get me wrong, I love working nights. I'm still on nights after 8 1/2 years. There's a different culture that exists for night shift workers, both in interpersonal relations and hospital environment. It's fun, we laugh alot, we have a tad bit more autonomy, and people help each other more. I'm one of those crazy people that will only move to days when I have to for some reason or another.

I'm also one of those disgusting people that can sleep anywhere, any time at the drop of a hat. So, the whole switching back and forth thing has never been too grueling for me. I've never gotten sick or rundown like some of my co-workers do. It works out child-care wise for us to (or did, when we needed childcare....).

That being said, I hate "mornings". It doesn't matter if the morning is at 8am or 4pm. I thoroughly dislike getting out of my bed. I'm grumpy, and it takes me awhile to "wake up". This really is not fair to my kids, all of whom are perky morning people. And lately, I have been waking up after my night shifts feeling like I was hit head on by a Mack truck. All headachy, lethargic, and more grumpy than usual. Once I'm up for awhile, I'm my usual perky self, but the getting there is starting to take a little longer.

I hope this is just a cruel phase my body is going through. Maybe I just need a vacation ;)...

2 comments:

  1. vacations are great! you definetly need one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately a vacation :) And I've always been on days, even straight out of school. I'm working the same shift at the same place I started. We have quite a bit of autonomy as well, which I credit my manager...it's a very nurse run floor :) as it should be, right? :)

    ReplyDelete