Friday, January 29, 2010

More changes ahead...

I've worked weekends for 8 1/2 years now- since I finished my new-hire orientation at work and was off on my own. I've worked either Sat, Sun, Mon or Fri, Sat, Sun nights the entire time. It just worked out. At first, Chris had a job that required him to work weekends, as well. Then, when the kids came along, my working weekends enabled us to schedule our activities without having them in child care. At all.

Just recently, I traded a Friday every other week for a Thursday night to make soccer season a little less wretched for me- all the kids' games are on Saturday. Working every Friday and Saturday night meant no sleep for the mom if I wanted to attend games. The change worked well, and I started thinking. With Chris home, we have "child care" (really, it's not child care if it's one of the parents- we've both always thought it's crazy to say a mom or a dad is "babysitting" their own child). Since Aiden and Paige are both in a traditional school system, our travel is limited to weekends, unless we want them to miss school. Well, then I have to miss work.... So.... I proposed a whole schedule overhaul- first to my hubby, then to the girls at work. Lucky for me, everyone was on board.

So, starting Monday morning, I will no longer be an "every weekend" girl. Woohoo!!! There are 4 of us that are core staff on my unit on nights. We've got it set up to where each of us will take one weekend a month (basically; it's actually a 4 week rotating schedule). This means that the days of 3 on, 4 off every week are gone, but it's arranged so that everyone has a 7-8 day stretch off once a month. That will be nice.

We'll see how it all works. Hopefully no one hates it.

Oh yeah, and I was assigned jury duty this month. that's right, this month. I thought it was only a one week thing!!!! Not so in my county. I guess I'm lucky it's in February, when there are only 28 days......

No comments:

Post a Comment