Saturday, January 16, 2010

Half-Empty Today?

I'm usually a glass-full kind of person. To me it only makes sense.... Why go through life bitching about the things you can't fix? Focus on the positive, and you'll be a happier person.

Well, everyone has their "days", and I guess today was one of mine. Every now and then something happens, and I have to wallow in the half-empty side of life for awhile.

Chris had a job interview early this week- the first he's had in two years. It was a great prospect, sent along by one of his previous professors. He even had one of the most shining letters of recommendation I've ever read. He was chosen as one of 10 interviewees out of 121 applicants. And the job was in his chosen field. Very hard to come by in our small-ish town.

We found out at lunch time today that he was passed over for the job. Needless to say that the mood in our house quickly turned downhill. Now, being the usually optimistic girl that I am, I tried to keep it upbeat, and find the positive in the situation. Which worked (for me) for awhile.

But sometimes I just can't hold on to it. I was disappointed. Chris was disappointed. We'd gotten our hopes up and started dreaming of the things we could do when he was working again. I had to let myself wallow for awhile. Without letting Chris see me wallow too much- I know he already felt bad enough as it was. We're both wondering is it ever going to happen????

I'll say what I've said a million times: It will when it's supposed to.

So, here are a few things I've learned about life from being an (unintentionally) single-income family:

Life gives you what you need, and not always what you want.

Enjoy what you have. Having more isn't necessarily better.

It doesn't have to be expensive to be fun.

Appreciate every day you have together as a family; it isn't always going to be this way.

Small houses are filled with a lot of love (and they're easier to clean).

3 comments:

  1. Sorry that you guys are going through this. It's so hard. I think we have a similar disposition where we want to always be positive and never let the crap get us down. But I also know that it can be so exhausting. So give yourself a break and allow youself to feel kind of yucky about it. Then pick yourself up and keep going. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, Kim, & I feel your pain! I agree w/Mommy X on this one--let yourself have that bummed out/pissed off/upset time. It's necessary periodically. Then, get back to the positive and loving who you've got. I'm right there with you! Let me know if I can do anything....even though I'm in Oregon, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gone through our share of unemployment as well. So rough. Thoughts and prayers with you both, sounds like you are great support for each other. Jenny

    ReplyDelete