Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Adventures in Dressmaking, part II


Why, oh why must I do these things to myself???? I have tried to sew from patterns for years; and for years I have kicked myself every time. You'd think I would learn.....

So...... I diligently cut out the pattern, in size 5 mind you, cut the fabric, and started piecing things together. Swearing to myself that this time would be the time that I'd follow the instructions to the letter, and end up with a beautifully sewn dress for Sis. Uh huh. Swearing to myself while blatantly ignoring the fact that reading sewing patterns is, for me, like reading Chinese and knowing that something always goes wildly wrong.

I worked on the blasted thing for probably three hours last night. The bodice went together without a hitch, and I was stoked that this seemed to be moving in the right direction. Then, I managed to make the ruffles with minor difficulty. Sweet!!! It took a little longer to put the ruffles on the overskirt... I will admit to expressing a few... adult only words.... I'm getting tired by this point. (I tried to sew in the afternoon, but apparently the sewing machine triggers something in Finn that necessitates him screaming as soon as it turns on....) By now, the instructions in the blasted pattern are starting to look like arabic- they want me to put the what where???? Still, I managed to get the overskirt onto the bodice. *Whew*

Then I really looked at it. I swear I cut the size 5 pattern lines, I really did. Seriously, I think this thing would fit a 14 year old..... It's HUGE!!!!! No way my little twiggy 4 year old is going to be able to wear this monstrosity. And it looks messy.... How did that happen???? Crap, crap, crap!!!! (Although I'm pretty sure I didn't say "crap"...)

Ugh, I'll see if I can fix it tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I hate patterns! They are never the right size. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete