Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pink Passions


Do you remember those days before children, when you used to say, "When I'm a mom/dad, I'm never going to......"??? Yeah. Well.
One of the things I used to swear was that I would never dress my daughter(s) in primarily pink, and I wouldn't put her in those foofy, ruffly party dresses so many moms love.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against pink itself. It's just that everything baby girl is pink, and I was staunchly opposed to having my little girl decked out in pink from head to toe from day one. We even did the nursery in lavender and sage to appease this sentiment. But let's face it.... Most girls are just cute in pink. So, month by month, season by season, more of that dreaded color crept into Paige's wardrobe. But I do try to keep a good mix of other colors in there, too....
And the foofy dresses.... Well, they certainly are pretty (some of them, anyway) but they're just not practical for children. My kids love to jump and run and scream and wrestle, paint and color and glue and glitter. Most of which seems impossible while wearing a confection of a party dress. I love dresses, but tend(ed) to buy Paige dresses of the knit, durable variety that leggings can easily be thrown under for an active day.
One thing that we as adults never think about when we're going on about all the "things I'm never going to do" is the will of the child. Unless you are a complete dictator or have an extremely mellow (passive?) child, there comes a point when what you want your child to wear doesn't matter any more.
Enter Paige's new pink party dress. She loves pink. She loves dresses. And she just about tossed her marbles when she saw the whole rack of frilly, foofy party dresses at Costco today. Since the price was reasonable, we let her pick one. She picked the pinkest, puffiest one she could find.
Now, I could have lied and told her that they didn't have that one in her size. There were others that Chris and I liked waaaaay better. But why stomp on the girl's style?
Looks like she'll be running, jumping, painting, and glittering in a pink party dress.

1 comment: