Monday, January 11, 2010

Blast from the Past

I'll admit it.... I'm a Facebook junkie. I'm quickly becoming a blog junkie, too, but I just can't seem to stay away from Facebook. One of my favorite things is reconnecting with friends I knew from back in the day. My oldest "friend" on Facebook is a girl I went to elementary school with in Germany. Who would have thought, when we lost touch so many years ago, that we would "find" each other again now? On the computer???

So the other night I was trolling..... uh looking around Facebook. I went to the GHS alumni page (my high school), and started flipping through the people there. I love to do this every 6 months or so just to see who's popped up since I last looked. There were several of my friends there this time that weren't last time, and a few people I knew only in passing, but liked or admired.

Now in HS, I was shy. Or quiet. Or soft spoken. Whatever you want to call it. Socially awkward is my favorite way to put it, and I still am socially awkward most times. The great thing about FB (and texting!!!!) is that I can talk to people without actually talking to them. I love chatting with people, just not out loud. And yes, this includes all the people in my life that I talk to now..... I can IM with the best of them.

Anyhow, I sent my old friends and acquaintances messages just to say hello. I'm always just a tiny bit hesitant... What if someone I msg doesn't remember me, or doesn't remember our friendship quite in the way I do? What if I look so different now that they don't recognize any of my pictures??? (Okay, I really don't look that different..... A few pounds heavier, but then, who isn't???)

I'm not sure why, but it's always so gratifying when they write back!!! I think it's great fun to see how everyone has turned out..... What career they have, if they have spouses (who their spouses are), if they have kids, are globe travellers..... All kind of fun things.

When I had a Myspace page, I posted a folder of old pics. I thought it would be fun to do with my FB account, too. But, of course, I can't find the file I scanned the pics to anywhere on 2 computers or our external HD. Ugh. So me..... I know I scanned 5 or 6 of them.....

Anyhow, I found one from the "old days". I don't think either of the two other girls in the pic read my blog. Otherwise they might hunt me down for posting the pic :).... Yes, I'm still in touch with them. Via Facebook.

I'm the one on the bottom right.

No comments:

Post a Comment