Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Third Circle of Hell; aka shopping for jeans

I'm so aggravated right now!!!!! I was sick this last summer, most of you out there know that. Over the course of all that, I lost a little over 20 pounds. I've managed to keep about 15 of it off. I was able to get into pants that I had hanging around at home that I haven't worn in..... well, a very long time.

I have one pair of jeans that fit me pretty well right now. The others I have I bought last spring 2008-ish, and are too big, but wearable with a belt. Time to buy a new pair or two. Armed with the knowledge that I'm a few pounds lighter, I was kinda excited to go.

We went to Old Navy. I know, not the best choice for jeans buying. But it's close to my house, and affordable, and what I've bought in the past. The jeans I have that fit are a product of Old Navy. I browsed the jeans section, found a couple pair I liked- and a whole bunch that were awful. Really, skinny jeans are still in????

Into the dressing room I went. When pulling on the very first pair, I knew there was going to be a problem when I pulled them up over my thighs. They fit, but were a lot tighter than I was expecting. And yep, had to suck it in a bit to get them buttoned. Oh... and there it is.... the muffin-top that I hate, that was doing so much better after the summer. (Keep in mind that these jeans are the same size as the ones I have at home that are just a smidge big on me, and also from Old Navy). WTH???? Maybe it's just the cut.

On to the next pair. Same issue. Crap. Well, let's try the cargo capris that I brought in to try for spring. They looked great in the thigh/bum area, and were actually the right length for me (which is rare). But there was that dang muffin top again. Really... I thought I lost weight over the summer???? One more pair of jeans. Okay, these aren't as bad. But, of course, they're about 4 inches too long. Grrrrrr.........

About then, all I wanted to do was run from the dressing room screaming. What I thought would be a fun jeans buying adventure was turning out to be as nightmarish as the last time I tried on jeans. 15 pounds heavier. Did Old Navy slim down their sizes??? I have the numbers on the scale to back up what my mind perceives as as somewhat smaller me..... Needless to say, I left the dressing room feeling discouraged and, well, that awful f- word no one loves to hear. No, not the four letter one, either.

I went with the pair that are too long. I'm going to have to hem them before I can even wear them. I'm halfway tempted to go to GAP, or American Eagle to look for a nice pair of jeans. It's just that I get so discouraged that I don't want to try it again.

1 comment:

  1. It's not you Kimmy. It's Old Navy and juniors departments. I also in the past have bought jeans at old navy or shopped in the juniors section. The styles have changed I swear. Don't give up.

    ReplyDelete