Saturday, February 6, 2010

Book Nerd??? Who, Me???

Okay, okay... I love books. Not just like a little, or think they're something kinda fun to pass the time with- I truly love books. (But no, Honey, not enough to marry one. Thank you very much.)

I've been a voracious reader for as long as I can remember. I don't remember a time when I couldn't read. When I was a child, my dad(s) were in the military, and I spent a part of my childhood overseas. Where there was only one TV channel in English. I know.... my children would gasp in horror. But I'm sure it helped foster my love for reading and books.

I was one of those "smart kids" in school that the popular kids didn't like. They made fun of me on more than one occasion. I remember one of my classmates in the 6th or 7th grade being excited about a book he had just finished. When I commented to him that it "was a great book, I read it a couple years ago", he looked disgusted with me- just like a lot of other people. Funny, I didn't get why until just now. Lol.

Some people collect shoes. Some people collect purses. Other people collect bodies. There's something out there for everyone. I collect books. I haven't counted my personal collection in a couple years, but the last time I counted I had in the neighborhood of 300. I love the way they look, I love the way they feel, the way they smell.... My goal has always been to have an extensive personal library. That way, when the kids get older, they will have a vast array of literature to choose from right at their fingertips. Thank god I don't work in a bookstore. I'd never have any money left. Also why I don't frequent bookstores often.

Why all the book talk? Well, my husband picked up a book to read this last week. The very first book I've seen him pick up to read just for himself. Ever. Not for school, not for the kids, but just something he thought he'd enjoy. I was thrilled. I desperately want to pass my love of books down to my children- I believe that reading is important, and somewhat magical. What better way to foster a love for books than to read to my kids, let them see me and their dad reading, and provide books for them to read.

Aiden is just "getting" reading. His sight vocabulary grows in leaps and bounds every week. The kid is amazing. He is now reading every day to earn time on the Xbox and/or PS3. Paige sees all of us reading, and picks up books to rifle through herself. While she may not be able to read yet, she can pick out certain words, and loves to make up stories to go with the pictures. The floor in their room is littered with books- we try to keep them picked up, but it is just about impossible. I bought one of those storage shelves that have the cubes in them to help organize their room a couple years ago- it's now filled with children's books.

Books. They make me happy. I know I had a point to this blog when I started. But, well, I've lost it in all the chatter about one of my favorite things. *sigh*

****On a different note****
A few people have asked me about how things are going with the surrogacy agency search. I've started a new blog to chronicle that whole journey. I figure I'll keep this blog for family updates, news, and wild ramblings. Anything that happens concerning the surrogacy, I"ll post about on my other blog.
You can find that at awombforyou.blogspot.com
If you want me to email you when I post there, just leave me a comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment