Thursday, November 19, 2009

Holiday pancakes

I love the holiday pancakes at IHOP. I'm a little perturbed at myself that we didn't make it there in October for the pumpkin pancakes. They are my absolute favorites. The kids love going to IHOP, too. Well, they're just like me.... we love eating out no matter where it is (as long as the food is good). Unfortunately, eating out is just not that great on the bank account. Iagine my dismay when IHOP aired its new holiday commercial with not only the coveted pumpkin pancakes, but with their new gingerbread pancakes-- covered in whipped creme and sprinkles. I immediately started salivating and planning our next trip to eat out.
Then reality and common sense kicked in. IHOP has deteriorated over the years. They keep taking food off their menu that I like. And let's face it, the kids eat pancakes at home just as well as they do out. I spent a couple hours at work last weekend making a menu (lunches and dinners) that will carry us through mid- December in an effort to help us cut back on eating out. If I have a menu, I am very likely to actually cook on a regular basis and make what the menu actually says we should have that day. Also, it helps cut down on buying unnecessary crap at the grocery store. Which I am also guilty of doing. While I was making said menu, I tried to incorporate some of my favorite eating-out dishes to liven things up a little. Cause you know we all get tired of taco night, spaghetti night, etc, etc..... So, one of the dinners I planned this week was for gingerbread pancakes. I figured I could make them myself- you can find a recipe for anything online these days.

Well, the gingerbread pancake reciped online all called for strange things- like brewed coffee. I don't drink coffee and neither does Chris. Lucky for me, Betty Crocker sells a gingerbread mix. I geniusly decided I could somehow turn that mix into a pancake mix. And today I did. The pancakes were a huge hit with the entire family. Even with Chris who classically does not like pancakes. With the cool whip and sprinkles on top, they even looked like the ones on the IHOP commercial. And I probably fed my whole family for what just my plate would have cost.





Okay, so we did have to clean up after ourselves, but hey, everything can't be perfect!

1 comment:

  1. Your pancakes look so good! I have to also do the menu thing at our house. We don't eat out that often anymore. So it's a real treat for the kids when we do. Me too!!

    ReplyDelete