Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Paige's Birthday Party

A birthday party should always start with a great cake. I made an R2D2 cake when Aiden turned 5, and it turned out so well that I decided that I must make all my kids' birthday cakes. Did I curse myself???? Probably..... I'm my own worst critic, and it seems that I keep trying to out-do myself every time a birthday rolls around. My cake ideas always start small and seem easy, but by the time they're done, they've morphed into monsters!
Paige had a My Little Pony party this year. I could have made her a pony cake, but I saw a picture online that inspired me. Plus it looked like it would be a lot easier to make than a pony cake. After two days' work, one botched frosting recipe, one made up frosting recipe, and extra cake baking, we ended up with the confection to the left. Not quite what the original picture looked like, but it's close. and pretty cute. The bottom cake is a three layer milk chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting between the layers, then iced with homemade white chocolate frosting. The cupcake on top is french vanilla cake with good ol' store-bought vanilla frosting. I piped on all the dots myself, then put some of her pony toys around the edges.
Not too shabby if I do say so myself. Tasted pretty good too!!!
Paige had a great time at her party this year. She had her Nana and Papa,a friend from pre-school , friends of hers that she knows from mommy's work, and her very best friend Kayleigh here to celebrate with her. They played hard, opened presents, ate cake, and ran around some more. A perfect day in the eyes of a 4 year old little girl.
She got some great presents that she loves, already having tried out most of them. I should have taken an "after" picture of the cake.... she and one of the other little girls dug into the frosting of the cupcake part, making their own "designs". Actually, I think Paige did most of the damage to the cake, since the frosting is her favorite part.
She loved everyone singing Happy Birthday to her this year, and blew out her candles like a pro. We didn't ask what she wished for, but I'm sure she'll tell us anyway! It was a great party.


1 comment:

  1. Love the cake Kim! You are a pro. What a fun party. Paige is adorable.

    ReplyDelete