Thursday, December 3, 2009

The nursery is done! (finally....)



So, when I was pregnant with Finn, we turned the bonus room into a kids' room and moved the big kids in there together. They love it, and I'm not sure why I ever thought they would like separate bedrooms. As a result, we had a boy's room and a girl's room already painted, decorated, etc. The plan was to put the baby into whichever room was decorated appropriately after he/she was born- since we didn't know the sex ahead of time. In the meantime, both rooms became storage areas. I was okay with the arrangement at first.

But as the pregnancy progressed, it bothered me more and more. With Aiden and Paige, we knew their sexes before delivery so I was able to finish their nurseries ahead of time. As the weeks went by without me setting up the crib, changing table, putting clothes away, and all those little nesting things I began to slowly go insane. I had bedding sets picked out for a boy or a girl, and the common color in both was brown. I decided that I wanted the corner bedroom to be the nursery regardless of the sex of the baby since that is the room closest to our room.

That particular room was Paige's room as a baby, and had a chair rail with a fairy tale mural and lavender paint. I decided to paint chocolate brown over the lavender to make it more unisex, thinking that I could match either bedding set to the chocolate. So, at 35 weeks pregnant, I took myself to the home improvement store, bought some paint, and painted over that pretty purple paint. We got the crib set up and the changing table moved in there, and I finally felt like I might be ready for the baby to come.

And along came Finn. I bought the bedding set I had chosen for a boy, and love it still. While the brown wall definitely made it feel like more of a unisex nursery, the mural still had a hint of princess to it. But I just couldn't paint over it. It was a one-of-a-kind mural hand painted by a friend of mine as a baby gift. I agonized over painting over it.... and it took me 9 months to decide. But, this week, I finally did it. And I am soooooo happy with the results.

Not to say that I didn't love the mural, but Paige doesn't sleep in there and might not sleep in there again. And she's not that into princesses, and never has been. I figure that by the time she wants a room of her own again, she'll want it to look more "grown up" anyway. I hope I'm right!!!










1 comment:

  1. Love Finn's room! You did a great job! Can I hire you?

    ReplyDelete